Wednesday, October 21, 2009

busy, busy, busy

I've always wondered about these people who keep themselves so busy that they don't have time for anything but putting out fires. I watch them run around like crazy and I wonder if I'm missing something? I don't LIKE to be that busy, but I don't think I'm lazy. I need to have a balance between busy and relaxed. Some days are more one than the other, but generally I get plenty of time to relax and I also feel that I accomplish things and contribute to society.

I've come to realize that most of the time, when you keep yourself so busy, it's generally a symptom of a much bigger issue. In order to be still and listen to your inner voice, you have make space. And if you keep yourself running around like crazy, there is no time for that. We keep ourselves distracted from really looking at what is underneath that. This is an entirely subconscious choice, but in order to reverse this, you have to make a conscious choice to do so. If you find that you are constantly overcommitted, then learn to say no. Make a space for yourself and put it at the highest priority. For me, this is usually something I do by myself, such as a walk on the beach, or meditation. You have to decide to give to yourself in order to gain the rewards of introspection. If you are constantly going at top speed, you are going to miss all the sights along the way, and what is the rush, anyway? There is no prize for finishing first. If in doubt, and you are making a choice, ask yourself this: "when I am on my deathbed, which thing will i remember?" will you wish you had worked more? or will you wish that you had given more to yourself? I think the answer is clear.

2 comments:

arevolutionofone said...

Very well said. It's also worth pointing out that you will be more efficient when you're rested and not overtired from overwork. I think it's part of our societal make up to think we can go constantly and that's the way to get ahead.

You were talking about personal life, this is also a big problem in a lot of careers, especially IT and there especially in tech support. Balancing time to plan and organize with fire fighting is seemingly impossible at times.

Andrea said...

true. there is nothing more frustrating than a coworker or employee who has time management issues. its even worse if it's your boss:) but i do think its all a symptom of the same issue underneath. keeping yourself busy is keeping yourself distracted.